Friday, October 5, 2012

Bottle top magnets (Tutorial)

Mr gasket loves his craft beer. I mean really L.O.V.E.S loves it. He is always on the look out for new craft beer, imported beer, and when the occasion calls for it, we hit the road and travel to regional micro breweries. So it comes as no surprise that after a weekend, I can usually find a couple of bottle tops lying around.
 
 
 
During our last visit to Hawaii, we visited the Kona Brewery and mr gasket got this as a souvenir:
 
 
 
I didn’t notice he purchased this memento until after we returned home, and as soon as I saw it I told mr gasket that we can finally get rid of all the advertising magents (a major pet peeve for mr gasket) and I could make more bottle top magnets. Mr gasket L.O.V.E.D this idea, and so over the last six months he began to carefully twist/pop off the bottle tops of his drinks so that I can make cool magnets for our fridge.
 
And so I bring you the Bottle top magnet tutorial.
 
 
Materials
Bottle tops
Magnets, I used 20mm round magnets, but you could use square as long as they fit inside the bottle top
Glue gun
Glue sticks
Light coloured pencil (optional)
 
Step 1: Using your hot glue gun, squeeze enough glue inside the bottle top until it is approximately half way full. Put bottle top aside and allow to cool for a minute.
 
 
Step 2: Identify the one side of the magnet that is magnetised. Only one side of the magnet will attach to the fridge, my pack of magnets were marked with a white dot to represent the non-magnetic side.
 
 
 
If your magnets are not marked, work out which side is the non-magnetic side and mark with a light coloured pencil.
 
Step 3: Carefully place the magnet, non-magnetic side down, into the middle of the bottle top, and lightly press down. I didn’t want the edges of the bottle top to scratch the fridge, so the magnet sits slightly higher than the edges of the bottle top.
 
 
 
Allow the glue to cool completely with the magnet, and you’re done.
 
 
 
These magnets are a quick, cheap and easy gift to make. I gifted these to mr gasket for his very first Father’s Day, and he, you guessed it, L.O.V.E.D them.
 
I’d love to get my hands on some American soda bottle tops so I can get a bit more colour , so if you know where I can buy bottled American soda in Australia (or where I can buy American soda bottle tops online), leave me a comment below.
 
xoxo Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Thoughts? Feedback?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...